Do you remember all that candy I made the other day for Halloween? I finally made a wagon for them. The wagon is on its way to the festival ground…
Making a wagon seemed a bit complicated- and it was, but somehow I managed to make one. I don’t know if I like the design and what not, but this is as far as I will go. After all, I have a bunch of other projects to finish before Halloween.
So since I wasn’t sure how I make the wagon, I figured things out as I went along. First I made the counter with foam board, then I kept adding different pieces.
At this point, it started to look like a wagon.
The material for the wheels was another thing. I thought of making them with wood, but that seemed like it would take way too much time- and foam board would be too weak. So I just made the whole thing out of polymer clay. It required baking after each step, but it turned out good enough.
After baking the last time, I poked holes in the middle of the axles while the clay was still warm and soft.
Then I stuck a toothpick through the holes. Oh, and I painted the wheels since I used scrap clay to make them. I could have made it so the wheels could actually spin, but I didn’t want to bother with that, so I just hot glued the wheels to the wagon.
Before attaching the wheels, I realized that the wagon was too high for my critters, so I cut the bottom a bit.
I don’t know what this piece is called, but I made this thing that keeps the wagon from tilting while it’s standing still.
There we go. Everything put together.
I made a candy display platform.
And hot glued bunch of miniature glass jars on the wagon. I did this before I made a roof of the wagon, because I needed to know the look and feel of the display so that I can think of the roof design that will go with the candy.
I added some roof pieces on top…
And glued on a card stock as the roof.
If I were making a wagon that will sit on my diorama all year around, then I probably would have made this wagon with more solid material and added more details, but I think this is good enough for events like this.
….so I thought!
I ended up changed the color of the wheels, painting the jars black, and sticking labels on them afterwords.
Okay, now this looks more like it…phew.